Mon, 05 Jul 2004

GNOME 2.6 in Sarge status update

I haven't posted about this in a while, mostly due to lack of news.

As it stands now, the biggest problem with the GNOME components in Sarge is gedit not starting, and the easies solution is still to hand-fix it. This is due to the big gnutls10 transition still being stalled. The biggest problem today is kdelibs, which is waiting for a qt3 build on m68k. Hopefully, with a bit of luck, this will be resolved soon and the release mages will be able to cast the spell that makes kdelibs, GNOME stuff, Samba, CUPS and others enter Sarge at once.

Another of the GNOME problems is the lack of gst-plugins0.8 in Sarge. This is stalling gnome-applets, gnome-media and a few more. The problem this time is jack-audio-connection-kit, which is missing an alpha build and a few days of wait. With lully up and running again (apparently), one hopes that jack will be ready to go soon, thus removing a good list of packages needed by meta-gnome in testing.

Speaking of meta-gnome2, I uploaded version 56 today, adding an alternative for mozilla-xft, which has been replaced by the normal mozilla build. Little after my upload, mozilla-browser was corrected to declare a Provides: mozilla-xft, but I guess it won't harm anyone to have the alternative there for a while.

My libgnetwork packages were accepted, but failed to build do to a compile warning on some arches mixed with the usage of -Werror. I'll fix soonish, hopefully.

I need to translate gstreamer. Maybe tonight.

Huge pile of mail

One of the expected surprises I found when I came back from Pont the Suert was a tremendous amount of unfiltered mail (ie, spam + non-list mail I probably have to reply to). Just one year ago, the alarm bells would have gone off if my inbox reached 40 mails or so. Today, it's probably at 400 mails, some of them that I really should reply but I have no time to. If you're waiting for a reply from me and you don't get it, I suggest you remail me and insist. IRC and jabber probably works better these days, though.

Back from El Pont de Suert

It's been an exhausting weekend, but very, very fun.

We left at 16:00 or so after I left my workplace and had lunch in about 6 minutes. After a drive to the Pyrenees without incidents, we got to the town at 22:00, found a place to camp and went to sleep after dinner. We spent all Saturday seeing things around the area, like the lake where we'd swim, and specially the romanic churches in Boí and Taüll. We went back to Pont de Suert to hear the triathlon's briefing, and finally back to the camping to prepare for the triathlon.

On Sunday morning we woke up early, had a quick breakfast and headed to the town again, to prepare the second boxes, where we left our running shoes and a cap for the sun. We left the caravan there too, took our bikes, the wetsuits and our swimming and cycling stuff and headed to the lake, where the first boxes were. We prepared everything quickly and some minutes later we were starting the 1.500m swim. Swimming in lakes is a lot better than sea in many ways, but above all, because if you accidentally swallow water it's not the end of the world like with salt water. The cycling segment was hard. After getting out of the water, the road would never stop going up until km. 23, where we turned around and descended at 60km/h to Pont de Suert. The running segment made the triathlon the toughest one we've ever run. They took us through a forestal road with many steep areas, with a lot of heat and sun. I had plenty of muscular problems in my quadriceps, and should have abandoned at km. 3, but decided to finish no matter what, and at km. 6 my legs started to hurt a bit less so I could continue running more or less normally the reimaining 4 kilometres. I ended the running segment in 1:01h, probably 15 minutes more than expected, but at least I crossed the finish line.

Soon after finishing, we had a quick shower, packed our bags and bicycles in the caravan and started our return to Valencia. After dealing with a road cut by some farmers in Maials and a tire blow-out (with no further implications thanks to Gabi's driving expertise), we managed to get home at 22:00, little after Greece scored their goal in the Euro final.

It's been a nice triathlon weekend, with the bonus of going back to my loved Pyrenees after 5 years.